Corey Andres is a sports and recreation expert, who specializes in sports programming, recreational facilities design and safety, athletic training conditioning, and youth camp supervision and administration. A few years back, Corey served as an expert witness for us in a significant sports injury case where a young mother had suffered a horrendous leg injury at a birthday party.
(In that case, our client — a guest at a gym facility — had been encouraged to “play” on all types of gymnastic equipment without sufficient instructions or safety procedures in place. Corey’s opinions and insights were instrumental in helping us hold the facility accountable and helping this young mom – literally – get back on her feet.)
When Corey’s name popped up in a recent email about an article he’d written encouraging safe practices in summer camps, (entitled “The Questions To Ask Before Sending Your Child to Camp”) I thought it was so valuable, I called Corey and asked if I could share it.
He said he’d be honored.
So here they are:
1. What is your staffing ratio? (Campers/Counselors)
2. Do you perform background checks of all staff?
3. How many days of training do you provide staff?
4. Can I have a copy of your training manual?
5. Do you follow ACA Accreditation Guidelines?
6. How many incidents have you had in the last 5 years requiring outside medical treatment?
7. What aquatic activities do you provide?
8. Are life jackets and lifeguards on site for all aquatic activities?
9. What are your safety guidelines for shooting sports? (Archery, Rifle range)
10. If zip lines and ropes courses are available are courses and equipment inspected daily?
Corey’s article provides explanations behind each of these questions. READ MORE